March 24th, 2008

Ray Davies has hopes for Kinks reunion

A Kinks reunion? Ray Davies says it could still happen.

The original Kinks get together in 2005 at the UK Music Hall of Fame ceremony.

"I know that three-quarters of the band are really up for it and can do it and are available,
the head Kink told CNN.com in a phone interview from Tasmania over the weekend, reiterating comments he's made elsewhere. "The one-quarter, a very vital quarter, my brother, is having thoughts about it, because he’s recovering from a very bad illness. [Dave Davies suffered a stroke in 2004; he's greatly recovered and put out an album in 2007.] His right hand isn’t fully on yet but I think it’s getting a lot better."

Dave Davies has said he isn't so sure. "I wouldn't mind or rather consider doing some shows with Ray purely in respect for the Great body of work we have both been fortunate to have been involved in over the years. And for the fans of course," he wrote in a post on his Web site in November. "But to sit in a room or studio with him and have my brain and heart slowly sucked out ... no friggin thank you."

The original Kinks - Ray Davies, Dave Davies, Pete Quaife and Mick Avory - haven't played together regularly since early 1969, when Quaife left the band a few months after the release of "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society." (There have been a couple appearances since, such as at U.S. and UK hall of fame induction ceremonies.)

The Kinks are also one of a handful of major rock groups who haven't had their history collected in a box set, but Ray Davies says that may change soon.

"When this tour is over ... I’m going to have some meetings with people and set the dogs on all these people and try to bring them to light," he said with a laugh. " ‘Cause I think a box set would be great. [It] would really show the evolution of the band, along with a very good DVD with it, to show how this band evolved. ...

"There’s a lot of love in the Kinks, in the best sense," Davies continued. "It’s like one of those old Westerns, where the guys ride off into the sunset and it’s not really there and there’s a shootout at the ridge and one guy gets hit and he says 'Leave me here, you go on over for your own good and send the cavalry back,' it’s a bit like that, the Kinks. And I think it would be nice to have the whole story there."

Ray Davies' new solo album, "Working Man's Cafe," came out last month.

Watch for CNN.com's Davies interview later this week.

– Todd Leopold, CNN.com Entertainment Producer

Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. Sigorn

Just because I was burnt out to perform on stage with an entire orchestra dosen't mean the Kinks will ever burn out definitive. Rock and Roll is an expression of contemporary freedom. No way will The Kinks just be a memory. Ray loves his brother, he is too smart to let this so called friction get in the way of his creativity. Dave, come on, your voice is so beautiful and the guitar playing, is beyond reality. Dave I beg you to be assured that you were and always will have a handsome personage. Give Ray one more time. Ray, I think deep in your heart the sentiment to perform with your brother, Pete Quaife and Mick Avory is very strong. I hate charts, they destroy the well being of great music is all about. REUNITE GUYS, reunite. I lost my grant at 17 because I swore at the Coach. It is painful to this day. You guys will never, never be forgotten.

September 25, 2009 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Sigorn

The Kinks have to reunite. Come Dave, you should know you're good. The voice of a perfect Irish Tenor. Ray and you are professional. Look, I was an accomplished pianist at 17, I don't want to be a hypocrat, no way do I want to get on stage. But I performed, Ray and Dave have created and performed. Give us a break, All artists are tempermental. It comes with the territory. You guys gave the world such fantastic years of the greatest music in Rock and Roll. I beg you reunite for the sake of creativity.

September 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Frank Lima

God save the kinks and all their fans who have supported and stuck by them through the years. And for all we know they still might have a way to go. Eevryone should just leave well enough alone for now, we have the amazing solo career of Ray who is writing new material and touring like he was a 30 year old and Dave also up until a few years when he got sick was also doing great live shows and writng and recording new material. The Kinks should only get back together if they both really want to and for the right reasons. The music of the kinks has always been too important to their loyal fans and none of us want them back together for nostalgic reasons or to see them go out labeled as an oldies band. New material is a must for a kinks reunion! The last performance of the kinks in the US was in 1995 at the Rock & Roll hall of fame where they suceeded where all those who performed before them failed to get a seated reserved crowd to go stark looney crazy for the good old imperial KinKs. Rock Bands Come, and Rock Bands go, but rock & roll is gonna go on forever, and let's hope so do the kinks and all their fans! Thank you for the days Ray and Dave, Days I'll remember all my life! I remain the one and only Dan the Fan, The Montvale, New Jersey Hillbilly Boy aka Frank Lima

November 26, 2008 at 3:08 am | Report abuse |
  4. Frank Lima

The Kinks music has always been too important and too relevent for a reunion to take place for just nostalic reasons. No true die hard kinks fan wants to see that or the kinks come back as an oldies act. They mean too much to us. Dave has said on site that he and Ray have not seen each other in over a month now and have not even opened up a guitar case together and there is still a lot of things to sort out, so there is still a long way to go before any reunion even is a thought. Don;t believe all the reunion rumors in the headlines about them rehearsing and wring songs for a reunion tour. However that brings me to another point, there has to be new material brought to the table for a KinKs reunion. Sgain no self respecting true Kinks fans wants to hear just the hits or the old stuff, we want new material from Ray one of if not the greatest songwriter of all time, from the Kinks one of if not the greatest band of all time. Also the real supporters and fans of the Kinks want both Ray and Dave to want this reunion and neither of them should feel forced or pressured in to it. If it never happens so be it just as long as they are both happy. And besides we have their great solo careers to look forward to. Ray has been doing solo shows for over 10 years now an they are great shows, and Dave too up until his stroke a few years ago has also been doing solo shows and I think Kinks tour or no KinKs tour he will be back on the road too. For now I say lets be grateful for all the years of great music and great live shows they have given us. God save The KinKs, Ray, Dave and all their fans who have stuck by them through the years. – Frank Lima, A Montvale, New Jersey Hillbilly Boy aka Dan the Fan.

November 12, 2008 at 2:29 am | Report abuse |
  5. Frank Lima

Ray Davies 2008 end of year tour schedule..DONT MISS HIM !
    28 November – Tampa Theatre, Tampa, FL
    29 November – Fillmore Miami Beach at Jackie Gleason's, Miami, FL
    30 November – Hard Rock Live, Orlando, FL
    2 December – Variety Theatre, Atlanta, GA
    3 December – Wildhorse Saloon, Nashville, TN
    5 December – Borgata Music Box, Atlantic City, NJ
    6 December – Bardavon 1869 Opera House, Poughkeepsie, NY
    8 December – 9:30 Club, Washington, DC
    10 December – Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, RI
    11 December – Memorial Auditorium, Burlington, VT
    12 December – Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, NY
    13 December – Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park, NJ

November 8, 2008 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Frank Lima

Ray and Dave are talking and communicating nothing more going on right now. Ray is finishing up with his London Musical Come Dancing which closes tonight, then prepares for a 3 week USA tour starting inTampa Florida on November 28th and finishes up in Asbury Park, New Jersey on December 13th. Dave is working on a new movie " Mystical Journey " soon to be released and may be doing somelive solo shows once again next year but nothing is confirmed about that. God save the KinKs, Ray and Dave no matter what they do seperate or together, they have never disappointed me. – Frank Lima, A Montvale, New Jersey Hillbilly Boy aka Dan the Fan

November 8, 2008 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. PeteMoss

While I have great respect for their early work, it was their 80's album 'Give the People What They Want' that made me stand up and take notice of this awesome band. Hearing "Destroyer" and "Around the Dial" on the radio pretty well had me hooked. It was my first cassette ever, and the first concert I ever saw. I ended up seeing them twice, and they put on stellar shows each time. Still ranks at the top after all this time.
    Ray is an intellectual and musical genius, and the Kinks' music has and always will stand the test of time. Whether they get together or not for a tour, we're lucky to have their catalog of interesting, enjoyable and relevant songs.

April 10, 2008 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Brad

I love the music but would not pay the ridiculous money that promoters will charge for another moldy reunion show.

April 9, 2008 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Org

It seems like everyone is having a reunion. I read on celebrityprayerlist.com that the New Kids on the Block were having one too! My prayers to sister mary have been answered!

April 3, 2008 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jim

You have to wonder whether they would have been much bigger here in the States if the U.S. government had not banned them from coming here between 1965 and 1969. All the same I saw them in 1980 in South Florida and it was a great show despite Dave Davies punching Ray Davies and knocking him off stage. I am looking forward to seeing Ray on his solo tour this Saturday night in Philadelphia. I am all for a full reunion as long as Dave is there and healthy.

April 2, 2008 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  11. Denise

Dave Davies cannot perform live. If he could, he'd be on the road right now. For the past several years, Dave has claimed that his brother Ray is narcissistic and abusive and that he (Dave) would never work in a studio with his brother again. Because Dave is legally a "Kink", no tours plus no studio equals no Kinks reunion. Kinks fans need to ignore these sorts of headlines. If you like Ray Davies' solo music, that's great, enjoy. But ignore the hints and promises of something kinky on the horizon.

April 2, 2008 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  12. J. Earle Livingston

First saw the Kinks on the Soap Opera tour and some older (30ish) women were passing out like it was an Elvis show. Saw the Kinks 10 or 11 times thereafter. Remember 1,000 plus people bouncing and smiling and hollering Day0000 leaving the Tower in Philly in the mid70s. Lucky enough to take my children to see the Kinks in the late 80s and early 90s. Saw them at the Stone Pony (NJ) before their last tour.
    I'm writing this because all the memories and comments mentioned here have plastered a silly sentimental grin on my face. I'll be at the Tower on Saturday night. I'd welcome a box set. I'd welcome a Kinks reunion. The PR doesn't matter. The show itself will be a guaranteed good time for me ... even if the Kinks are only a shadow of the old self.
    See some of you at the show.

April 1, 2008 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chuck Harvey

A Kinks reunion is past due. However, I understand Dave Davies reluctance until he is in better shape to play. Lets make it happen Ray, even if it is just for one album and a tour. Your long-time fans (like myself) are waiting. I purchased my first Kink 45 in 1965 and still buy Kinks and Ray Davies CDs today. I saw the band 13 times. It has been a long fun trip. Ray Davies is one of the most talented and productive song writers in the business.
    When you return to Southern California, please make a stop next time in Orange County.

April 1, 2008 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. raven90

A reunion tour would be great. But if it doesn't happen, forget the box set, just keep playing your cd's! They are great. Why the box set, can't change a cd? Best band of all time, no doubt. Been wishing for a reunion for years now, hope it happens but despite the lack of just dues for this band against the likes of The Beatles, The Stones, etc they are in a category all their own and always will be. They know it, and we know it. Long live The Kinks.

March 29, 2008 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

Don't forget Louisville, KY on that tour. Talk about the last time

(what a barn burner) Dave can play with a pick in his teeth and still

sound great.. God save the KINKS

March 27, 2008 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Sonny Weinstein

Were they more popular than the Beatles, Rolling Stones or The Who? No, However their influence on numerous subsequent bands to this day is unsurpassed. They have influenced Heavy metal, New Wave and Punk, Alternative music and created British Pop. No doubt that Ray Davies is arguably the most literate lyricist in rock music. There is certainly not a more diverse catalogue of music left for future generations then any other rock group. From biting hard edged rock, to thoughtful social rock, satirical music with a witty music hall style; From rock operas to beautiful ballads that will last forever the kinks are a rock group whose influence and reputation will only grow in the future. Whether a reunion is in the cards or not I say God Save the Kinks a band truly Not Like Everbody Else.

March 27, 2008 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  17. Viking47

As a long time fan (1st show Palace Theater Albany NY 1979) , I believe that a reunion is long overdue. Invite all significant musicians that played with the band during their long and storied career and construct a show that represents all phases that the band went through. We have seen many a Kinks concert, but one more would be great.

March 26, 2008 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  18. John

It's sad that hinting at a Kinks reunion is the only way Ray can promote his new album (which is great!). It's the only place I've seen the album mentioned – all these recent interviews about a possible Kinks reunion.

It doesn't even make sense that he just put out a new solo record and is going on a solo tour to promote it, yet all he talks about is wanting to reform The Kinks.

But Ray is smart, he knows the only way to get his album mentioned anywhere is for it to be a closing thought in the last paragraph of an article about The Kinks.

It's the common people's fault for ignoring most of Ray's career. The Kinks should have Beatles/Stones/U2-like status but instead most people think they're a one hit wonder. And as a songwriter Ray is up there with Dylan, Springsteen and Young but no one even knows he has a new album out.

As for The Kinks box set, could be good. Especially the DVD. And to all the people saying to leave out everything after the 60s, how would that show the bands progression? I actually think their albums got better after the 60s. They had the best singles in the 60s though. But Schoolboys In Disgrace, Sleepwalker, Low Budget, Give The People What They Want, State Of Confusion – those are some of their best albums. And every album they've done has at least 2 or 3 classics.

March 26, 2008 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Bob Giarrusso

VIVA THE KINKS!
    Surely this band needs no introduction- or hype- to launch a sold out stadium tour. Critics and other musicians agree that the Kinks' songwriting stands among, or surpasses, the best of the 20th Century 's artists. Even their 70's unsung Arista output (Sleepwalker, Schoolboys in Disgrace, Misfits & Low Budget) ring as true and vital today as ever, and rank among the most memorable music made at a time of drastic transition from classic rock to prog-rock, new wave and punk. While labels and studios demanded catchy 3 minute jingles, overly-slick production and mainstream success that was the downfall of so many of their contemporaries still living off their reputations and royalties of careers whose best days are long behind them (can you hear me, Eric, Paul, Roger, Mick, etc.?), the Kinks marched on to the sound of their own drum, making intelligent, timeless music album after album for 30 years. Ray's two solo records are both excellent, and I haven't heard Dave's new one yet, but plan to pick it up soon.
    Anything they do will be worth seeing and hearing, and will doubtless blow away every lame, tired "reunion" tour that has occurred for the last 20 years!
    'Cause "THEY'RE NOT LIKE ANYBODY ELSE!"

March 26, 2008 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. George B

Hey Berrnie, Trim off some of the 70's? Some of their best work came out of that era! "SleepWalker" "Misfits" Etc... The Kinks were and still are the most underrated band ever!

March 26, 2008 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. victor gomez segui

Greats KINKS,of SPAIN,Remenber song Come On Now
    Living The KINKS.

March 26, 2008 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  22. André Rosbergen

Would be great!

March 26, 2008 at 3:46 am | Report abuse |
  23. Peter

The only band left from the British Invasion that still has all the original members alive.
    If the Davies brothers could get along with each other throughout the tour, I think the outcome would put them back on the map in a major way.
    For most people, The Kinks have been out of sight and out of mind for too long. All the attention and publicity of the reunion, would remind people just how great a band they were.
    It would be a big shot in the arm for their history.

March 25, 2008 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Joseph Lanthier

The Kinks in concert would be great. But I have to agree with some of the comments about are the boys up to it. I've seen them play every tour since Soap Opera and most of Ray's shows. Always a great show even when they played the same set for a few years. Please don't open with Destroyer. I'm waiting for a Broadway play on Preservation Acts 1 & 2.
    Ray is one of the most gifted songwriters and Dave is the original heavy metal guitarist as well as a great songwriter. whether they do or don't , I will always have the Kinks in my life.

March 25, 2008 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Guy

I saw the Kinks 20+ times from 1973 until 1993. All the shows were great. I never saw the Kinks with Pete.........to see the original members now would be phenomenal!! I also saw Ray solo a couple times and Dave once. Both were outstanding. The box set is long over do!! I will be the first in line to get tickets!!

March 25, 2008 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Mark

If their health permits, I would LOVE to see a Kinks reunion. But better, IMO, to present a history of the band and include John Dalton, John Gosling, Jim Rodford and Ian Gibbons.

Highly unlikely...but I'd love to see it. And in response to the little smart a$$ above, I never go to bed BEFORE 10:00PM.

March 25, 2008 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  27. pariahdise

If the Kinks don't reunite, it will be because Dave doesn't want his mind fractred anymore than already is. You read the man..

So the choice for Dave is go into Konk studio, play your mind, heart and soul out on Ray's every whim, then fight and argue in the end over getting one of your own songs recorded and on the new record, and hopefully having succeeded getting your five minutes on the disc, then go on tour for a few party platters and minimun wage, because you are too selfless to disappoint Kinks fans.

As a lifelong Kinks fan, I do admire Ray yes, how do you not? But I am also well aware that he is self-centered, creative vampire that hasn't done the right thing by his brother to this very day. He has also quite underestimated the respect and regard on this planet for his brother Dave Davies and his neglect of the Kinks founder is going to keep coming back and biting Ray, especially among Kinks fans..

If Dave doesn't want to waste away in the studio with Ray (or can't for some other reason), then any tour the Kinks do is going to be pure nostalgia and pointless, and precisely for the money in the end. The Kinks were so different from their contemporaries (Stones, the Who) once upon a time, but now with Ray sporting his television and movie song commercial empire and hinting at a possible re-union of 70 year old geezers on oxegyn tanks, I say enough already with this silly idea. Preserve some dignity and stand aside instead, Ray. Stop acting as if you are still working class, and for your final act, don't actually be like everybody else.

March 25, 2008 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Brother J

If all th' boys were able, "Village Green" from start to finish w/ full orchestration would be absolutely phenomenal, cats!

God save the Kinks!

March 25, 2008 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Joe Jordan

Hearing of a KINKS Reunion sent chills up and down my spine. I have seen them 9 times and every show has been phenominal.
    Ray is the GodFather of song writing. The KINKS have played a huge part in my life with their music; i can't get enough of listening to their hits from You Really Got Me, Lola, Destroyer, and To The Bone. I know if they come to Philadelphia i will be there AGAIN as well as my brother Steve-o and my 2 children Tori and Joseph who saw Ray on tour back in 2006 at the Tower Theatre. Ray as a solo was great but Ray reunited with Dave and the rest of the Kinks well lets just say it will be a tour to remember!!!!!

March 25, 2008 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Rebekah Youngman-Forbes

Why so down on our living legend Ray Davies? Such a cliche to stir up this whole competition rant between the Davies brothers. You must know it takes everything anyone's got to get their music exposed and played...and whatever anyone does to spread the word about NEW Ray Davies music should be WELL APPRECIATED! His new album is bound to be a classic addition to the whole body of his and the Kinks work. Why not get the word out NOW! I can't stop listening to Working Man's Cafe. Precious vision and voice still alive, well, and in some ways at its best. If you haven't heard it, go get it today.

March 25, 2008 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  31. ddog

I agree that Ray is hyping this 'reunion' to promote his excellent new album 'Working Mans Cafe' since his record label (New West) hasn't spent a dime promoting it. The label is based in Austin, where I live,
    and they couldn't get a copy of the record to radio stations until after the record was released. And of course after the stations got the CD they didn't play any of it. How much do you have to pay a program director these days to get a song on the radio? It's an excellent CD and it's criminal that it's already a flop a mere month after its American release.

I think a reunion would be an embarrassment. First of all, very few people remember the Kinks and those that do can't stay awake later than 10:00 pm; their old audience is indeed old. Pete Quaife requires dialysis and hasn't played in years. Dave Davies suffered a stroke and no one knows if he can't play and sing at the same time, how well he can play without singing etc. I love the guy but it would awful to see someone so talented humiliated by being sub-par on stage.

Kinks fans are few and far between. The public doesn't care about the original line-up – America never saw the original group live except for a brief tours in 1965.

Ray Davies is just being selfish and egocentric by bringing this 'reunion' stuff over and over. Dave doesn't want to do it. Pete probably can't do it and it would be probably be a financial disaster. Ray should help his brother rather than bicker with him in the press. Everyone likes to see their name in the paper, but perhaps Ray could come up with something positive to say and help his brother instead of tearing him down.

I'd love to see it but in my heart I hope they leave well-enough alone. They have a great legacy and there's no reason to sully it with a sad reputation of their former selves.

March 25, 2008 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. Greg Dimo

Why the hell not? They don't need to do cartwheels on stage, just get up and play the great tunes (hundreds of them that 99% of US/Europe rock fans still haven't discovered), maybe bring back a couple of the lady background singers they had in the 70's to ease the harmony duties, and fulfill Kinks fans dreams worldwide! I will be all over the Western US for those vacation plans...Kinks/Ray/Dave concerts are like community gathering, those attending knowing they have knowledge of a treasure trove of rock music bliss.

March 25, 2008 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  33. Loki

I saw the Kinks 8 different times in the 80s / early 90s before they split up, and Ray twice afterwards. Best concert ever was seeing them in Chicago at the Riveria in 1987 - front row, shook Dave's hand as he handed me his pick (and I still have it too). My all-time fave band, I would dearly LOVE to see them again. So Dave if you're reading this, think about it!

March 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mitch

I would love to see The Kinks in concert. Had tix to see them in 93 and the show got cancelled.

March 24, 2008 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Kim

Great music never gets old & it never dies. I'd love to see The Kinks reunite. ...Show the pathetic pop stars of today what real musicians are made of!

March 24, 2008 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Kyrck

While Ray has been talking about a Kinks reunion of late, it seems more of a general desire to be part of band again instead of being a solo artist, and the Kinks would probably be the most logical choice. But even though I would love to see a Kinks concert again, I think reality dictates differently with two original members in relatively poor health, one original member not having been an active musician for forty years, and at least some of the original members not so much wanting to reform.
    And anyway, I saw Ray Davies in concert in Melbourne last week, doing a great show with a great backing band!!

March 24, 2008 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jon D.

I hope they do it!! I saw Ray Davies a few years back and it was an amazing show!! They are soooo unrecognized in the United States because of some union problems they had in the 1960s... a real shame, such wonderful music and lyrics.

March 24, 2008 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ~rose~

The KINKS are the original pure rock 'n roll magic. To see them perform again? A dream come true for fans, old & new, all over the planet. Much love to Dave whatever he decides. For now, buy their back catalogue, Dave & RAY'S solo works, read their books, and be sure to see RAY in his imminent (limited) US tour...RAY DAVIES is a poetic genius. GOD SAVE RAY DAVIES! GOD SAVE THE KINKS! And THANK YOU ALL FOR THE DAYS!

March 24, 2008 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Michael "Kinky" Holtman, Newport, RI

I'm not sure what to think of this news. I absolutely love the Kinks, and they will always be one of my favorite bands. I just hope that if they do come back, they are able to play at the level diehard fans like myself would expect. It'd be a tragedy to see a shell of a band reunite and tarnish such a great legacy. Of course, I have faith that they'll make the right decision. Oh, and let's get on that box set!!

March 24, 2008 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kisz

Ray is full of it. Pete Quaife isn't well enough to tour either, and likely does not relish the thought of working with Ray Davies again under any circumstances. And brother Dave has not been able to perform live in the 4 years since his stroke. Having a spouse who had a similar stroke about 6 years ago, I'd say it's likely his improvement has mostly plateaued by now. I think Ray just says this stuff to generate publicity for himself and his new material.

And is is just me, or does that Wild West analogy make no sense whatsoever? Maybe it was the reporting....

March 24, 2008 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Todd R. Emmerson

I would like to see Destroyer live and Muswell Hillbilly.. you know if only for one last time

March 24, 2008 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ronski

Ray Davies' 'To The Bone' tour has been one of the most enjoyable concerts we have ever seen at Variety Playhouse in Atlanta. A reunion tour would certainly be promising but a bit risky. Reunion tours seem to be the exception, rather than the rule since the audience may rate them according to memories rather than the current performance. A good part of their fan base are probably grandparents who may prefer a softer volume concert. However, I would be the first in line to purchase a box set, and relive the memories at whatever volume...

March 24, 2008 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Brian

The Kinks don't really need a box set. Just remaster and re-release "The Kink Kronikles" (and add a few more tracks from their 1966-1970 period. And I don't think a reunion tour would do much to enhance the memory of a truly great band.

March 24, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Bill the Bass Player

God save the Kinks!

March 24, 2008 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  45. SC

THE KINKS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A VERY UNDER RATED BAND. THEY PUT OUT LOTS OFF VERY COOL MATERIAL.

WILL THEY TOUR MANLY FOR THE CASH? OF COURSE BUT, I WOULD RATHER SEE REAL MUSICIANS WHO ACTUALLY WRITE AND PERFORM AND ACTUALLY PLAY THEIR INSTRUMENTS SCOOP THE CASH THEN ANOTHER BOY BAND OR SOME PROSTITUTE THAT PRETENDS TO SING.

March 24, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Comatoast

Dave Davies guitar playing has always been extraordinary, and I'm sure he is reluctant to perform at less than 100%. Whatever happens, good on you Kinks- you probably had the most influence of any band around on the rock sound of the early sixties (and yes, that includes the Beatles, the Stones, and the Who).

March 24, 2008 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Bob

The most British band of the British Invasion, the Kinks never received the adulation in the US that they deserved. With the exception of the Beatles, the Kinks were as good as any of them.

March 24, 2008 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ralph

Awesome ... Please do. Hope Dave Davies' health completely improves... Please do concert in DFW or near by. Ray's the greatest.

March 24, 2008 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Scott

I would LOVE to see The Kinks in concert! And so would my wife. There, that's two sold tickets right off the bat. So "Come Dancing!"

March 24, 2008 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  50. Philip

That would be both great and sad, especially with Dave's condidtion. It's tough being from that generation and watching your favorite group try to be what they once was but I know Ray is smart enough to figure out a way to present themselves on stage.

March 24, 2008 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  51. Bob

The Kinks were a fun band. I saw them in the late 70's, Ray always the master of ceremonies on stage, a real class act.

Surprised they haven't already gotten out on tour, the smaller venues would be fantastic.

March 24, 2008 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  52. Berrine Muir

Why not reunite? If New Kids on the Block or Spice Girls can do it, why not one of the very greatest bands of all time? Ray can still sing (and write). The battery should be fine. The only question is Dave's health, I guess. By the way, I love the uniquely Daviesian spirit of Dave's "heart slowly sucked out" statement. And I'd love to see that box set. Trim away the fat of much of the '70s onwards and that could be one for the ages.

March 24, 2008 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  53. Tom

LOVE the Kinks as does my 14 year old daughter. A reunion would be cool in some ways, but may be better to remember them then to reunite them.

March 24, 2008 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  54. Ruth E.

I love the Kinks. Not sure that a reunion at this point would add to what they have done, though.

March 24, 2008 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |