February 23rd, 2008

Razzing on the worst in film

“Eddieee … what have you done for me lately?”

Razzies

The Razzie winners were announced Saturday in Santa Monica, just a short drive from Hollywood.

That was a famous punch line in “Eddie Murphy Raw,” and it’s clearly appropriate after Murphy got skewered at the Razzie Awards on Saturday morning. He “won” three awards - worst actor, worst supporting actor and worst supporting actress - for the 2007 bomb “Norbit,” and he was a constant target for the wisecracking Razzie presenters.

It’s crazy to think the guy was nominated just last year for an Oscar. And he might have won, too, if - as one presenter pointed out - “Norbit” hadn’t been released just before the Academy Awards. Awful timing.

And Lindsay Lohan, she got it even worse. If you want to hear what the presenters had to say about her and “I Know Who Killed Me,” check out this audio slideshow.

Razzies founder John Wilson said he invited Lohan and Murphy to come to the show and accept their awards - like Halle Berry did a few years ago - but they apparently didn’t think much of that idea. Too bad.

I wonder how I would feel if some of my work was mercilessly ripped like that. I’d like to think I’d be able to laugh at myself, especially if I had past accolades and millions of dollars like Lohan and Murphy. But who knows?

“Movies You’ll Hate in 2008”: At the end of the Razzies, a video screen showed some possible favorites for next year.

There were slides for “Jumper,” “Horton Hears a Who!” and Tom Cruise (“Valkyrie”). But the loudest ovations were for “Rambo” and the Paris Hilton flop “The Hottie and the Nottie.”

- From CNN.com Senior Associate Producer Kyle Almond

Filed under: Uncategorized

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Emily

I agree with Pilar and Jeff on the whole Lindsay thing.

March 11, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Michael M. Noonan

Is Lindsay Lohan still alive and articulate? What a colossal joke she is.

March 4, 2008 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Marta

Yes, "I Know Who Killed Me" is really bad...but give Lindsey props for "Georgia Rule.

Norbit was totally funny I don't think Eddie was looking for an Oscar when he made it...

March 2, 2008 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DarthDad

First of all, Norbit was not a "bomb" by any measure.
    It grossed over 158 million or approximately what all 5 oscar nominees for best picture did together!

Secondly, I don't like comedy movies in general but I thought it was hilarious, and so did everyone I spoke to about it.

I am sure Eddy is doing just fine without the kudos of this self appointed mob of nerd-iots.

February 29, 2008 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Juggernaut Jones

Funny that I have yet to find anyone who didnt like Norbit. Yet goof nuts in Hollywood and elsewhere say it was terrible. Sure it wasnt one of the best movies ever but it still made people laugh. So what gives?

February 27, 2008 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Baboon

Mean Girls was actually a good flick. Only because Rachael Mcadams was in it. ha

February 27, 2008 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Benst1

It's truly funny that "Norbit", [similiar to "Pearl Harbor" (2001)], was nominated for Both an Academy Award and a Raspberry Award.
    Thank you Razzies for zinging the worst movies of the year. They deserve it.
    They should televise the Razzie countdown: "100 Years...100 Stinkers"-a list of the 100 worst films of the last century according to the Raspberry. It would be a funny alternative to the CBS televised AFI's "100 Years..100 Movies" which counts down the 100 best USA films of the last century according to the AFI.

February 27, 2008 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. b-MO

what are you 12? Mean Girls was not good work.

February 26, 2008 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jeff

Well, we are to blame for much of the garbage coming out of Hollywood. We pay to see these poorly crafted movies and get what we deserve. Garbage in – garbage out.

I agree that Lohan's Mean Girls was her last effort at acting well in a flick. But seriously, what have most of these people done to deserve the millions they demand for "starring" in their flicks?

Maybe they should do what Brad & Angelia do – go towork amongst the downtrodden and actually try to make a difference in our over-crowded, pain-filled world. I'd rather buy a Bono ticket than a movie ticket anyday!

February 26, 2008 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Pilar

Norbit was terrible so thank the lord the Razzies saw that! Lindsay Lohan has not done any good work since Mean Girls.

February 26, 2008 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  11. Stephanie

Horton Hears a Who! is a wonderful story. Please, don't tell us that someone created an alternative dark Horton.

February 25, 2008 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Suzanne

The Best sleeping Pill on the Market is watching the Oscars..After 10 minutes of pure boredom I turned it off and watched my favorite show the History Channel..

The Moviestars that made the Oscars a truly memorable event are dead and gone...

February 25, 2008 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Brandon

Rambo? Seriously?
    Rambo is a f***ing fantastic film..in the same way that the original Rambos were. Totally ridiculous, yet so awesome.

February 24, 2008 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

Each year I look forwad to the Razzie Awards and make it a ritual to rent the movies that are nominated. After seeing them I have to wonder how some of these ever get the Greenlight from the Studios. I travel a lot now for work so I won't be able to make to the theaters to see most of the nomines but I found a Web site http://machala.themovdwn.hop.clickbank.net/ where I can legally downlaod some of this year's Razzie Winners. If you are stuck at the airport like me this is a great way to stay ontop of your movie watching.

Cheers.