January 31st, 2008

Where's the circus?

From CNN Entertainment reporter Kareen Wynter in Los Angeles:

I couldn't believe it when my crew and I arrived outside of the UCLA Medical Center in L.A.'s Westwood district today to cover the latest in the Britney Spears saga. In fact, I almost had to ask if we were at the right hospital. (In fact, maybe I did. My mind is a bit blurry right now after a morning of nonstop live shots.)

Because not only were there no other media or paparazzi on hand, but no fans. That's right - fans. Earlier this month, some of Britney's faithful followers actually beat some of the media to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center when she was hospitalized there, but today ... nothing.

Given recent history, I thought that this would rank as one of the big stories of the day. Well, a local news station finally showed up after about an hour. Another crew popped up a short time later. But the bottom line is, even after being out here for eight hours, the media circus that has trailed Spears at every opportunity just wasn't out in full force today.

So, that got me thinking. Is the media growing tired of this troubled pop star? I doubt it. But I do believe that a jadedness has set in - that many of those who cover Spears are no longer shocked by some of her unexpected misfortunes. I have to admit, when I got the 1 a.m. call about Spears' latest hospitalization, I wasn't surprised. Not at all.

Spears' family, friends, and advisers have all publicly expressed concern for her well-being. Let's just hope that, finally, she does get the support that she needs to get through whatever it is she is going through.

– Kareen Wynter

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. paul

niceeeeeeeeeeeee

August 31, 2009 at 5:36 am | Report abuse |
  2. noella

Why weren't Brad Renfro and Anna Nicole Smith included in the tribute. Hollywood exploits and embraces the drug culture but when a celebrity dies from drugs, Hollywood turns their back on them.

February 25, 2008 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sceptic

Oscar? What Oscar?

February 25, 2008 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. dave

The Oscar's are terrible , Hollywood movies are out of touch with America, and only a few stars are worthy of being called stars. Hollywood sucks !

February 25, 2008 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mona

I know this won't be displayed, but...are you serious? Can't imagine there aren't more pertinent issues in the world than ...**Breaking News** Daniel Day Lewis has won the Oscar for Best Actor.

Come on CNN. Get a grip on the real issues.

February 24, 2008 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ethan

I am probably crazy but I keep hoping every day that she will get better and be with her beautiful little boys. I JUST WONDER HOW ANYBODY WOULD BE LIKE IF THEY HAD BEEN SHOVED INTO THE PUBLIC EYE THEIR WHOLE LIFE.

February 5, 2008 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Patrick

WOW!?! Maybe the journalists all starting acting like journalists again, if even only for a brief instance. Maybe the Dow dumping so many points today, maybe the fan-fare of an election stole the Brittany thunder. Or pehaps, could it be that you wonderful people are actually starting to realize that we really are not as consumed with this young lady's life as you once thought. You tarnish your name as a worthwhile news source with every Brittany report. CNN, the greatest place for the hottest tabloid news and gossip! Reinforcing my trust in the BBC. Good day!

February 5, 2008 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Charito Arceo

Can't you people find another topic that Britney Spears. People are sick and tired of hearing about her. And as for you Britney, Grow up and stop wasting peoples time with your crazy behavior. WE ARE SOOO SICK OF YOU!!!!!

February 1, 2008 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jamie

Perhaps the increasingly irresponsible and disrespectful media should just leave Britney alone. Here's some news....no one really cares about Britney and all her dramatics. How about doing a story on the lives of day to day people living with cancer, or AIDS or poverty? I know, it doesn't sell. How pathetic that society has come to this, getting caught up in the pathetic lives of the Britneys and the Paris' and the Lindsays of this world. Honestly, the media and the people enthralled in this nonsense need to take a reality check. As someone who has been to Africa twice, coming back to all the gargage in the press here really makes you put things into perspective, and I for one could care less about the sordid and classless lives of the rich and infamous trash.

February 1, 2008 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  10. Been there

If it did't sell pictures and or if it did not draw readers. Would the paparizzi or the News media waste their time? I think not! Who is to blame for all this trash.? Just take a look in the mirror. Get a life!

January 31, 2008 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hank Slappy

Is there anybody who cares about this egotistical "b****".....?
    I am amazed by the number of people who have no lives of their own and have to try to live out their fantasies through this pig.

January 31, 2008 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Chris

I'd like to know three things:

#1) How many people went without police services while all these officers were tied up with the planning and transport of Britney to the hospital?

#2) How much did this latest episode cost us taxpayers?

#3) When will Britney get a grip and stop wasting our precious and under staffed resources (our police & paramedics) and stop wasting the taxpayers money?

January 31, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sue

Amen to St. John's comment about leave her alone and let's worry about important things in our country. She is not important!! Just one comment though...why does she need all those police officers to protect her? None of us would get that service!!

January 31, 2008 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Glen

How much is this special attention costing the tax payer?

January 31, 2008 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jamie

I know with being a pop star you are going to be in the light. I just think if the media and everyone would stay out of her life, then she would be able to get help and not feel that she has to put on a show everyday to get attention. With prayers and a great support system she will get better in time. First she has got to want to help herself and I just think the media should leave her alone.

January 31, 2008 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Veronica

I think Brittany needs to step into the role of being an adult and mother. I'm sure she may feel like a failure since her marriage to Kevin failed not to mention her parents may not have been the best role models. Inspite of all the obstacles she has and will continue to face, she needs to pick herself up and continue on. Life is not going to stop no matter what test we endure so she might as well take a big girl pill like the rest of the women in America who by the way don't have the luxury of all the money she has but still raise their families are are responsible members in society. It's really exhausting to watch the news and continue to see this young troubled woman in the center of such a circus. However, she chose to be in the spotlight and gain glory, riches and fame but it all came at a price. I think if we all stopped paying attention to Brittany and her need for attention, she might just stop all the drama...

January 31, 2008 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tami

Let's leave this women alone the reality is that she has a herat and feelings. As a mother I kno wthat regardless of that smile she puts on she is destroyed inside from loosing her boys. No one! you hear me no one! can replace the love of a mother. I pray and hope that this young lady is left alone to become the women that she was destine to be; talented, fun loving and kind. What you all (the media portray) is not always reality CNN give it up and stick to the real issue our country is facing.

"The Lone Sailor"

January 31, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Canadian Viewer

What is happening here? Britney is playing the media like a violin, and in the meantime Americans are trying to find a new President, fighting a war in Iraq, and watching their economy go down the drain. What is more important? Obviously it’s the Nicole Smiths and Britney Spears of the world. CNN, do the important stuff and leave these stories for Showbiz Tonight.

January 31, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jr

A broken heart from what? Her decline started way before her marital /custody issues. It seems that as her pop star credentials have faded she's opted for those easier headlines of a shock star and allowed it all to drive her over the edge.

January 31, 2008 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. jaks

I almost feel bad for the girl, she is probably suicidal I would guess. Just let her be.

January 31, 2008 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Private Help

Has anyone stopped to consider that maybe what Ms. Spears really needs more than anything else is some quite non pressure, non judgmental help. No news media, no paparazzi , no manager, no boy friend, no parents and most of all no stress. Sometimes it is very hard for young people in todays world to fine the right way to deal with there personal problems because of all the people around them who believe they know whats best. I'm sorry to tell you but, what is best for one child or individual is not always best for another.

January 31, 2008 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Been there

It is time for the paparazzi and CNN to find some other story to beat to death. Who knows you might just find some thing with some substance.
    It is a sad state that the immature public loves this bloody low life type style of reporting.
    With all that is going on in this world today, this ranks right down there with the bottom feeders.
    Spears thrives on attention good or bad.
    The girl is in serious need of professional help. However as long she gets the attention you all thrive on, it is going to be a long time until she hits bottom and is ready to admit it she needs help.

January 31, 2008 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  23. T

I am sickened that I even followed the link to this story. Must have been out of pure boredom at work. I totally agree with Nickis comment and am ashamed at myself for reading this story and giving any time to the reporter that was outside for 8 hours. I dont get it – 8 hours. Britney has enough of her own problems. Take a break find someone else to raz. We've seen and heard enough.

January 31, 2008 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  24. st john

CNN FOX is there a difference?

January 31, 2008 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Sara

Ever think to ask how much it costs to have the police escort to these recurring "mental evaluations"? Don't you think they have something more important to attend to? She should be locked up until it's resolved if the media and public attention is so very difficult for this woman (not a child) to handle and she's in a mental crisis. Funny that that attention is what she's always thriving for and made money off of. And she was still tossing the sheet off of her head from the ambulance gurney and flashing that clueless smile to the cameras at her prior hospital visit. Get off of it, CNN. Those that want to see this can stoop to TMZ.com.

January 31, 2008 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Brett

Or, is the reason this {my hope in humanity has to lead me to at least consider its possibility, even if my cynical side makes my highly suspect it}:

The 'media circus' has had a suddent twang of compassion [ha-ha; that sounds very funny: a compassionate media], and they have realized that the ethical thing to do here would be to let Britney work things out with her family and doctors, without any nosy paparazzi interruptions. If this is true, then, Ms. Wynter, maybe you were the only one who didn't get the memo, I guess. Perhaps Senator Obama's new politics of hope and caring about one another applies not only to Washington, but to Hollywood, also.

January 31, 2008 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Greg

Maybe the question should be, Is the public growing tired of the media's exploitative feeding frenzy on this troubled woman? While Britney Spears might be a pop sensation and a media icon she is also a person and is clearly suffering. Give it a rest. The flashes of pandemonium are becoming gruesome.

January 31, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Darrell Goodwin

The girl stumbled and fell, and instead of helping her up you frame another shot and report her personal problems to the world.
    You're either part of the solution of part of the problem, back off and let the girl find her focus, no matter where it leads.

January 31, 2008 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Pamela

What a waste of taxpayer money just to move this has been pop star from her house to the hospital–multiple cops, firemen, etc. It is absurd that one person should require so much service from the community just because she is a "star." I am sure that a person suffering from mental problems who lives in the poorer sections of LA would not get the same treatment!

January 31, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joanne

Spoiled rotten brat that craves attention. Lets see.....second trip to the hospital, pregnancy test kit, don't show up for court, unfit to have her children, party girl, the list could go on and on. Just what I would want as a role model for my daughter or granddaughter.

January 31, 2008 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  31. OBDAG from WI

I'm glad that your were disappointed after not finding a mob outside the hospital.Now maybe CNN might finally learn that Britney is a nonstory and stop trying to make such a big deal over a sad story. I have never been a fan of hers but expected this type of end to a short career. If CNN would simply treat her as a normal person she might get her life on track in the future even lacking a media blitz. Personally, I have thought for sometime that her parents failed to even come close to raising her in a good environment with structure and rules. Someone has to be responsible for inspiring her into believing that the most important thing in the world is sex and that nothing else matters This raises questions like how often did the Spears family attend church together on Sundays (or any day for that matter)? What does Britney think is a loving relationship and how is love for another displayed and expressed? Finally, how often did her mother tell her that you should always have and wear clean underwear on when you go out incase you are involved in an accident – don't end up in an ER with dirty underwear and embarrass yourself and me ? What this women has needed all along is old fashioned upbringing. The best thing now is the circus to remain missing for good.. I still wish her good luck and God speed

January 31, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mac

Nice to see the LAPD put our tax dollars to work by spending a full day planning the football sized convoy. The real story here should be the police brass being held accountable for their actions.

January 31, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Lizzy

Is this what you went to journalism school for?

January 31, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Abhay

A Complete waste of time.

January 31, 2008 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Robert

Several people above have hit upon this too. I am very disappointed in CNN, as it is my home page too. Whether Britney Spears is in the hospital or not is NOT NEWS. Whether or not there is a media circus because Britney Spears is in the hospital is also NOT NEWS. Whether any celebrity is in the hospital due to alcohol, drug or mental health issues is also NOT NEWS. Are you beginning to see the pattern here? Celebrity gossip is NOT NEWS. There are real problems in the world that ARE NEWS. Lets hope for everyones sake that CNN realizes this at some point and gets back in the business of reporting news instead of making money off advertising page hits.

January 31, 2008 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Gedeon

I'm sick and tired of this subject. Can you leave that person alone, at last?

That's inhumane and you're penetrating the privacy of a living, human being.

The press seems like a bunch of sharks to me, honestly...

January 31, 2008 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Shari

It is time for the media to leave this child alone and let her heal.

January 31, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  38. DrumGod

Well, maybe the fact that the media is not hounding her and watching every move she makes is a good thing. I think she needs to be left alone so she can get her head straight. I know she is in the spotlight, and the media has the right to report on/about her, but she also has a right to privacy.

January 31, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dwight Phillips

It is apparent that Britney needs help. However, the media loves seeing her in turmoil. It gives them something to write about. I am hoping that the media could be more caring and forgiving of Britney's problems and lend a helping hand to someone in need of care. I also know that K-Fed is a sleeze ball to let the mother of his children be scrutinized in the media day in and day out without trying to help the poor girl. It says alot about him and his twisted world. I hope he steps up to the plate and provide Britney with some comfort. It would help her.

January 31, 2008 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Greg

i think its a huge hoax...

January 31, 2008 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Linda

Wow, I thought California had a financial crunch on just about everything, and here's a cadre of police "escorting" the rapidly-aging, stale Pop-Tart to the hospital. Your tax dollars at work!

January 31, 2008 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Patsy

Let's just hope for this poor girls sake that the people hounding her have gotten the message that she's human, fragile and is desperate need of some serious help.

January 31, 2008 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Paul

Britney who?

January 31, 2008 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Mark

Let the girl heal and also this great nation. The media of today plays an evil role in exploiting people for a story. And continues to divide America by Race, Gender, Wealth, Religion and Politics where once healthy debates are now personal attacks. No wonder those who could lead this country find better things to do. And those who have been apoointed to lead are sucked int he media blitz. Wake up America expect more from the media.

January 31, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Adam

Kareen,

Perhaps, unlike you, some of the blood-thirsty paparazzi are starting to get sick of feeding themselves off of the misfortune of a person with a mental disability. It just amazes me how the media preys on this girl like sharks on a seal carcass. Not that she hasn't brought the majority of it on herself. But think for a minute if she really does have a disorder, such as bi-polar disorder. I would hope it would bring some sort of sorrow to a person to realize that they are exploiting a handicapped individual. And another bone of contention of mine. Shows such as ET and The Insider were ridiculing Britney for being fat at the VMA's. These are the same shows that tell us what a problem eating disorders are. Talk about mixed messages.

January 31, 2008 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike

It's about time the paparazzi left her alone. I don't think they realize that she is only human. There are many people out here that care about her. Unlike the paparazzi, we know she needs time to heal. Good luck Britney!

January 31, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Nicki

Were you there to report on Britney Spears or the circus surrounding the hospital? Shame on CNN for even posting this blog!

January 31, 2008 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. st john

Perhaps if the media were to leave her alone for awhile and allow her to get some help, she would make some progress. It is a sad commentary on our society that a celebrity's mental and physical health are the substance of "news", when the violence in Iraq, Afghanistan, Gaza/Israel, Kenya and you-name-it and the financial and housing disasters of this nation are relegated to second-tier status in the news. Most of us will never meet Britney, et al, and her life will not impact us directly, but the constant attention to her and her sisters/brothers-in-celebrity diverts our attention from what we can and should be doing to make this a better world. What would happen to the networks and other media outlets and their corporate owners if they took a different tack on what is really news? Just curious.

peace,
    st john

January 31, 2008 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Kerwin Leader

Please, stop wasting our time on all this "dysfunction". I'm not interested in Hollywood's latest batch of immaturity through its "stars". Britney needs a good dose of reality and responsibility in her life and needs to stop eating up the public attention she continues to receive. I don't believe for a minute that any of this is real. It just shows what a false reality having money allows.

January 31, 2008 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Heather

Perhaps, the media is slowly but surely getting a clue, and you just haven't yet. What the media, in particular the paparazzi, has been doing to Britney Spears is evil, mean-spirited, immoral, and ridiculous. I'm quite certain that if I were in her place with all of you hovering every minute of every day I would be absolutely batty. The general public now generally believe that you, the lowest scum of paparazzi, are the villians in the saga, pushing Britney to the brink. If you'd just give her a month or two of breathing room in which to live a more human existance, she might recover. In other words, the problem is yours, not hers or theirs.

January 31, 2008 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  51. M

How about it's because there are more important things that people should be concentrating on. It's sad that this is the main link and right below it is an article that veteran suicide is up 20%. How about focusing our attentions and help on that? Or about the thousands that are on the street. Or the continuing disconnect between our government and the people. We are becoming what the movie Idiocracy projected right before our eyes, and it seems that people are more than happy with their ignorance.

January 31, 2008 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Nancy

CNN...................
    you are my home page for now, BUT I'M SICK OF BRITNEY SPEARS AND ALL THE SHOWBIZ PEOPLE!!!!!

If you don't change I will change you.
    No more CNN

There are more important things in the world the these SICK people!!!!!

They are make me sick of them and you!

January 31, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  53. chris

Hey Kareen,
    Maybe other people are beginning to catch on to the fact that she is a human being, and has a broken heart. Get a conscience, you leech, and leave her alone.

January 31, 2008 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |