January 21st, 2008

Colin Farrell lets the F-word fly live on CNN

From CNN Entertainment reporter Brooke Anderson:

Yes, Colin Farrell is an Irishman. Yes, he's "dangerous," sexy ... a rebel. But I have interviewed Colin before where he kept his language in check. Not this time. He let himself get a little too comfortable as we were talking live on CNN about his new film "In Bruges."

Farrell was explaining why director Martin McDonagh allowed him to keep his Irish accent while starring as a hit man based in London. He said that McDonagh probably saw his recent film "Cassandra's Dream" and thought "F**k that, he's Irish!"

Then, realizing his slip, he exclaimed, "Oh s**t!"

I was immediately flustered and mortified, as was he. His co-star Brendan Gleeson began laughing hysterically. In the end, we all joked about it, brushed it off, and eventually moved on with the interview.

Colin was very sweet and apologetic afterward. He told me that if the FCC decides to come after me to let him know and he'll have a chat with them.

Good thing the FCC doesn't regulate language on cable.

Filed under: Sundance Film Festival

« Previous entry
  1. FmeFU

That's f-in hilarious.

February 3, 2008 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Megan

OK come on seriously? the children? they know more swears words coming from the house and im sure a lot more other places, such as school and work...then watching cnn and hearing two words dropped. if they are responsible adults to have conversations with your kids and communicate to them what is right and what is wrong. and honestly i think they could be doing a lot worse things then watching cnn and hearing the f word.

February 1, 2008 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. J Marable

This is ridiculous!!! Is this news, c'mon, there are more important things in the world to be concerned with. He 's Colin Ferrell, he's just being his normal self, get over it!!!

February 1, 2008 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  4. tracy

you who are offended by the slip-up, have you never slipped and said something that probably shouldn't have? even (gasp!) in front of a child? maybe even (double gasp!) YOUR child? i'd be more offended if he had said it and wasn't apologetic or sensitive to the fact that there are folks like you who are so offended that you'd readily crucify someone for making a very human mistake. but he realized his mistake, and apologized.

and just to bring a little reality check to over-sensitive/over-protective parents: they're hearing worse things on school bus and in the line at the grocery store...where you bring them.

also, WHY would a parent have a child watching cnn? there's images of the war in iraq, crimes across the country...that would be poor parenting if you're trying to protect you kids from the "horrors of the world"...let alone the f-bomb.

February 1, 2008 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. David Blackstone

A lot of children watching CNN are there? It's not like he said it on 'Hannah Montana." Someone please deliver us from the professionally offended.

February 1, 2008 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |
  6. ap

I think George Carlin would laugh. Why is it ok to "prick your finger" but not "finger your prick" on TV? Also, Bible thumpers, your day is near done.

January 23, 2008 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Karen

hahahaha! 'oh s**t' was a nice recovery!

January 23, 2008 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. bill

I don't know which is worse, people bent out of shape about the f word being said on the air, or people that think it's some giant blow for the good of mankind!!This isn't the final confrontation between good and evil, for crying out loud

January 23, 2008 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  9. Irish too

why can't Americans can over their prudish nature to what is generally acceptable behaviour in much of the civilised world's public programming. it's time to move on. try parenting your kids if your concerned but don't cry about what, if not reacted to unnecessarily, is fairly insignificant. In other words, find a more worthwhile cause to spend energy making a difference....or life.

January 22, 2008 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jeff

What amazes me, is that CNN chooses to allow us to comment publicly on someone slipping the "f-bomb"...how about you open up ALL of your stories for feedback...I'm sure many of us would become "regular contributors" to your stories...instead you choose to allow only the bubblegum stories....I'm certain that CNN feels that they would lose the ability to control how america is perceived by the rest of the world...i'm sure this comment will be "moderated" out of the comments section...

January 22, 2008 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. irish

Why always mention that he is Irish? I'm Irish and I don't use the f word all the time. I don't think Colin's being Irish has that much to do with it–it's Colin being Colin that has everything to do with it.

January 22, 2008 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Not News!

Why is everyone asking if this is newsworthy? ??

Did you not click a link to read this BLOG. It's a blog people. Relax, he was just relating an incident that happened live on the job, Obviously it's not something that happens everyday live in the news.

January 22, 2008 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Paul

To those who think using a curse word is 'unintelligent' or that means the user has a limited vocabulary, thats an ignorant point of view. The words aren't offensive. Its those who are offended that make the words offensive. If no one gets offended, then they aren't offensive. The guy was quoting somebody. He shouldn't have to paraphrase was somebody else said. Plus, the words have meaning that really can't be summed up as quickly or with the same connotation by any other word or words. When will people learn that single words are not dangerous. It's a sad state of affairs when ignorant fools try to force their strict regime upon others who actually believe in freedom. They just pretend to believe in freedom, but what they really want is a something similar to Sharia. Fine, you don't want to restrict the freedom of women, but you do want to restrict the freedom of *everybody*.

January 22, 2008 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  14. Tasha

Oh Please. You have got to be kidding me that so many people are getting offended by this. In other countries, the "F-Bomb" isn't a big deal. I agree with the poster who said that this just proves that our country hasn't moved that far from its puritanical roots that we can be so upset by one slip of the tongue.

This word is not as big of a deal as people make it. Its a verb, noun, pronoun, adj. etc in most conversations you hear now a days.

The people who get offended by this are the same people who got so up in arms over a wardrobe malfunction or say that television should be nothing but PBS type shows.

Its 2008 people. Wake up and smell the century.

January 22, 2008 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  15. Martina

as long as we don't see his nipple, i'm fine w/ it :)

January 22, 2008 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  16. Steve

Yes we've all heard the word before, and no, society won't end because he used it. But Farrell is a jerk for not controlling himself. If Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, George Carlin and Chris Rock can appear on network Tv without using the "F" word, he should have enough self-control to do the same.

January 22, 2008 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. Josh

Won't someone please think about the children!?

Haha, just kidding. If your kid is watching interviews with Colin Farrell on CNN, I think you have more to worry about than them hearing a very common swearword.

January 22, 2008 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
  18. klondike

Yes Bernie, children are around, but you declare that it's better to shoot the people who swear? Do you shoot them in front of the childeren or after the kids have left the room? With people like you voting no wonder the country is in such disasterous shape. Utterly disgusting.

January 22, 2008 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. Bruce Bruce

I think I used that word several times this morning. My boss used it twice, and several of my co-workers have used it as well.

January 22, 2008 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  20. Rebecca

Bernie,

Part of being an adult is learning to converse (and posting on blog bulletins is a form of conversing) appropriately. Stating your opnion in all capital letters and incorrect grammar is more offensive to me than one actor accidentally using a curse word. You should hold yourself to the same standard that you hold Colin Farrell. Please, let's give a good example to the children.

January 22, 2008 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  21. tray

To BERNIE:

They should both be SHOT? That's more offensive than the F-word and the S-word! They have a place for you in Afghanistan with the Taliban.

January 22, 2008 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  22. chumba

I accidentally let the f-bomb fly in church the other day.

Not good.

January 22, 2008 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  23. gary

bernie. get a life.

January 22, 2008 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  24. Bobbie

I just find it an indicator of the state of the world that "Bernie" thinks that people who are not offended by the F-word "should be shot" because children could be watching. HMMMMMM......violence is preferable to foul language.......

January 22, 2008 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  25. Louder23

Get over it... My god how will you go on knowing that a grown man used a dirty word!!! Such a country full of little scared sissies.. How about all the murder, child rape, and oh yeah the war over in Iraq.. Go cry and be flustered by that..

January 22, 2008 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  26. Elmo Kajaky

Americans need to grow up and stop worrying about F-bombs, S-bombs, and nipple-slips on TV.

January 22, 2008 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. dan

you were mortified? because he dropped an f bomb? seriously? i mean, mortified? really?

January 22, 2008 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  28. jennifer

shame on Colin Farrell-
    I'm sure he knows better!

January 22, 2008 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. j reisdorfer

...is this really news-worthy?

January 22, 2008 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  30. IM4ULORD

SHAME ON YOU CNN, for airing this. Where are the censors? It is a sad state of affairs when our country has become so foul mouthed that we just "brush off" language that shouldn't be said or at the least shouldn't ever have to be heard. I have a bar of soap if you need it.

January 22, 2008 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  31. dave

Oh dear, a celebrity said a naughty word, sweet jeebus, stop the presses! How about a little more concern over the coming recession. Oh, I'm sure there will be a pack of idiots trying to sue because they were just traumatized over a word, just a word, the byproduct of air and vocal cord vibration. Oh lawsey, it's the end of the free world, the terrorists have won! Yes Colin's F-bomb has destroyed freedom and democracy and brought the civilized world to it's knees! The 4 horsemen are released, oh Collin, why did you have to say that?!?! Lock up your women, herd in the cattle, get your guns, the ever dreaded word that cannot be uttered has brought down apocolypse on us all!

January 22, 2008 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  32. Nathan Hook

I probably shouldn't condone the offensive gaff, but there really are only two peoples in the world who can use the F-bomb so delightfully, it's the Irish and the Scots – the rest of us are underqualified.

January 22, 2008 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  33. Michael Hays

Who does regulate language on cable?

January 22, 2008 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
  34. Eric Peterson

Colin Farrell's accent was so thick that it was hard to even tell what he was saying. When the f-bomb slipped I didnt even hear it and was left wondering what was going on. I only found out what happened when I read this blog today.

January 22, 2008 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  35. Bob

"Colin Farrell is an Irishman"....what does that have to do with anything?

January 22, 2008 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  36. Shawn Burton

Mr. West I am so happy that you and Mr. Farrell finds this so funny and can laugh about it, I for one am sick of it.
    I know the FCC does not regulate cable but maybe one day they will.

I will keep watching FOX NEWS and you can keep the liberal garbage you are use to.

Shawn Burton

January 22, 2008 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  37. Chris

"Good thing the FCC doesn’t regulate language on cable." Remember one thing Matt, the viewers still decide what they want to watch on television. This would make me turn off CNN for a very long time.

I think that incidents like this are going to push live cable television to where they (CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, etc.) are going to have to decide if they are going to delay their broadcasts by a few seconds to avoid incidents like this, or if they are going to take the chance of losing viewers. My kids are 6 and 9 years old and are typically in the same locale as me at the house. If they had been with me and that language came on my television, I'd lock the CNN channel out of my TV and watch someone else's news.

January 22, 2008 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  38. Steve

"Mortified"? Grow up and get over it! How many children watch cable news? I assume we're all adults here. Move on.

January 22, 2008 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  39. Adam

How is this even news? CNN please stop pandering to the lowest common denominator. You folks are blurring the line between "credible news source" and "tabloid."

January 22, 2008 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  40. Jeff

F **K is only offensive if you "think" it's offensive. Grow-up folks. This is how it is in the real world.

January 22, 2008 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  41. kayla

ooooooooooooooooooo mmmmmmmmmmmmm gggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 22, 2008 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  42. Ryan Hilliker

Ha ha, that's great. Nothing wrong with a swear or two ... or three... on television anyways. People say it on HBO so why not cable? Plus, it's only a matter of time right? If MuchMusic can display music with super-sluts and "ho's, gangsta's, drugs, thugs, brotha's, etc" and other ebonic crap, why can't colin farrel say F*ck and sh*t! I mean, he's irish!

Anyways, I've never understood LIVE television. What is it, a novelty or something? Get an interview, display it 2 minutes afterwards with quick on-the-fly edits and call it LIVE.

January 22, 2008 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  43. Janice Rose

not clever or funny to use alley language on television. movie stars have lost their glamour – totally.

January 22, 2008 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  44. volk

There are so many wonderful words in every language in the world, yet entertainers can't get past the four letter ones.
    This gets old.

January 22, 2008 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  45. John Tsouris

Is this what the country has come to? It makes news when someone lets loose a normal word in the English language that some bible thumpers think is naughty?

If you're afraid of the big, bad world, people, (or word), stay home and sit in the dark.

-J

January 22, 2008 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  46. Rob

Well that's certainly exciting news, thanks for sharing. *yawn*

January 22, 2008 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  47. Derek

Even if the FCC did regulate cable, so what? The FCC seriously needs to have the stick removed from their rears. If they think that kids aren't hearing far worse (e.g., that word used not simply as an expletive, but in its actual verb-form) at school, etc., then they need their heads examined.

Every time I hear about the FCC coming down on this, that or the other "indecent" thing, I'm reminded that this country got its start as a haven for a bunch of people who were so puritanical and uptight that their European neighbors encouraged them to get the heck out of their countries. And we continue to honor their legacy to this day....

January 22, 2008 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  48. Nick

that's f..king funny ~ LMFAO

January 22, 2008 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  49. Noah

This is news... ?

January 22, 2008 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  50. Alex Benjamin

So what! No one is wounded or maimed but the use of those syllables. I think we make far to much about the so called, "dirty words." After 45 years in this country, I continue to be perplexed why we get so worked up about a casually uttered word, or a hand gesture. I think it is a waste to put any energy into "dealing with this." Lynch is not a so-called curse word but the use of that on the Golf Channel was far more troublesome than Colin Farrell saying the F-word. I mean what are we seven years old that I even have to write "the F-Word".

Let's move on to dealing with the real issues, the F-ing war and the F-ing Economy. Just making a point.

January 22, 2008 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  51. Michael - Gallatin, TN

Congratulations! You've earned my very first non-hard news comment. Tell Farrell that when in doubt about how best to react to the FCC, just clutch the top of the wall tightly and thrust.

January 22, 2008 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  52. Fred Herrmann

Now we know why writers are needed. Ad-lib, anyone?

January 22, 2008 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  53. Matt

Oh my god! Someone swore on TV...well that never happens in real life. He's Irish, be glad that's all that slipped out.

January 22, 2008 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  54. Pat

Oh please, will you guys grow up. That particular word is heard so often these days that no one cares anymore.

January 22, 2008 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  55. Tony

Wouldn't be human not to let one slip once in awhile. Too bad I missed the interview, it probably was hilarious.

January 22, 2008 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  56. Kate

"I was immediately flustered and mortified" – Really? I wouldn't have thought it that big of a deal. Maybe I'm just not getting the whole point of the story, though. Honestly, who cares that he dropped an f-bomb accidentally. I hear the f-word at least once a week, and that's on a good week! :) As long as children aren't present or listening, what's the big f-ing deal? :)

January 22, 2008 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  57. javier torres

Colin's casual use of the "F" word simply reflects today's relaxed and undisciplined way we communicate with each other as a society. I am almost 50 yrs. old and have always been a big fan of television and the movies. As I grew older, I noticed the way society has chosen to disregard social standards as time went on. I can only wonder what we will tolerate in 10 or 20 yrs. This does not bother me in the slightest but, I noticed a huge shift in the way children speak, from when I was a kid to today's children. Our "Heros" only make these issues of public behavior more and more controversial.

January 22, 2008 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  58. Julie

Is this really news?

January 22, 2008 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  59. Bubba the Conspiracy Theorist, Swainsboro GA

Oh ****, I can't *****ing believe that poor **** actually said **** on ****ing CNN, man. What a ****in' ***** he is! He must ****in' feel like pure ****.

January 22, 2008 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  60. cindy

Geez, another grown man/woman curses on TV and it makes the news. How sad. ITS JUST A WORD, nothing more. And certainly nothing that every person watching hasn't heard before - either from their parents, their friends, their co-workers or themselves. And why on earth should the FCC care? I can only imagine the language that goes on in THEIR offices. People that freak when someone curses on TV - grow up already.

January 22, 2008 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  61. Sandi Wilkinson

I think it's hilarious that he said f **k on the air. I don't know why so many people get so upset by the word. It is used everyday in America by millions of people. It's just another word in the English language.

January 22, 2008 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  62. Tracy

So he's only human people say the F-bomb all the time. Good thing he isn't a sailor.

January 22, 2008 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  63. CNN is losing viewers

Who could possibly care about this? Absolutely pointless.

January 22, 2008 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  64. Robert Pierce

Now we need Colin Farrell to star as the opening act for the Superbowl. With that under his belt we could watch Colin vs the FCC on HBO Pay-Per-View in a no holds barred fight. I would definately pay to see that.

January 22, 2008 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  65. Paul, Tampa, FL

Is there some way we can blame this on Clinton? Just wondering.

January 22, 2008 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  66. Rich

Flustered and mortified over "the F word"? What are you, a 9 year old? Scratch that, 9 year olds swears worse than a sailor and wouldn't blink at that. What is wrong with us that we are sooo afraid of a little word?

January 22, 2008 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  67. Donald Marshall

Here we have a choice. Either Mr. Farrell is immature and using such words to gain attention or he is possessed of a decidedly limited vocabulary and has no other descriptive adjectives to make use of.

January 22, 2008 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
  68. Fred Knowlton

Too funny-even my comment "is awaiting Moderation" Only in America!!!!

January 22, 2008 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  69. Max

It _is_ a good thing the FCC doesn't regulate language on cable.

Now if only they'd stop worrying about regulating language on broadcast TV and radio as well, and forget about wardrobe malfunctions too – maybe then instead they could worry about media consolidation which (unlike language) is a real threat to the free flow of ideas and information in our society.

January 22, 2008 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  70. Ed Harmon

We are so glad that you were able to just joke about it and move on.

It is hard to believe that someone semi-intelligent can't hold their profanity in check while doing an interview on television. The FCC might not regulate it, but perhaps they should. It is offensive and, by the way, there just might be some kids watching.

January 22, 2008 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  71. BERNIE

I CAN'T IMAGINE YOU TAKE THIS SO LIGHTLY AND LAUGH ABOUT IT. YOU SHOULD BE SHOT BOTH OF YOU. THERE ARE CHILDREN IN THIS WORLD, ARE DID YOU KNOW AND ADULTS WHO ARE OFFENDED BY THIS TRASHY ACTOR AND HIS , HEY LOOK I'M GOD LIKE WAYS. I AM ASHAMED OF CNN AND CERTAINLY YOU

January 22, 2008 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  72. nancy

You know sometimes even actors can be a normal person. The "F" word and "S" word have been in our vocabulary for a very long time it is bound to show up in most conversations. Get over it.

January 22, 2008 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  73. colin-fan

Besides good looks, and talent, Colin is refreshingly real. I love watching him in an interview because he's not the usual COOKIE CUTTER CELEB. It is nice to see someone that isn't following along with alot of rehearsed answers . What would be a real shocker is if Colin stopped saying the F word!!! I like him just the way he is.

January 22, 2008 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  74. Dave

You were flustered and mortified at the F word? How old are you?

January 22, 2008 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  75. rob

Who cares if he let an F-bomb go. Oh no, the sky must be falling!

January 22, 2008 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |